THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN [Unrated] (8/19/2005)
Director: Judd Apatow
Cast: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd
My Rating: 9/10
Rotten Tomatometer: 85% Certified Fresh
PLOT: Goaded by his buddies, a nerdy guy who’s never “done the deed” finds the pressure mounting when he meets and starts dating a single mother.
I’ve been sitting here for the last 15 minutes or so trying to come up with a coherent analysis of “The 40 Year Old Virgin”, something that sounds like an actual review, something polished and mature.
I’m defeated. I can’t do it. All I can do is make a list.
1. OH MY GOD, this movie is freaking hilarious.
2. The Unrated version drags just a tad in the middle, but the new jokes are HYSTERICAL.
3. The waxing scene (you’ll know the one I mean) remains one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in any comedy. Ever. And, yes, for those who may not already know it, they really did that FOR REAL. That’s how you define sacrificing for your Art.
4. The porn star in Andy’s dream sequence? Yeah, that’s Stormy Daniels. I did NOT know that.
5. The lady who plays “Gina” (rhymes with, uh, “CHINA”) during the “Date-a-Palooza”? That’s Mo Collins, whom regular viewers of “Parks and Recreation” may recognize as TV host Joan Callamezzo. Did not know THAT, either.
6. The first time I saw this movie, I didn’t love it, because it hit a little too close to home, if you catch my drift.
7. ALL grandmothers should be as hot as Catherine Keener.
8. Other bits that still make me laugh: The “know-how-I-know-you’re-gay” scene…Kevin Hart’s cameo…Jane Lynch singing a Spanish lullaby that ends with the Spanish words for “soccer game”…the sex-ed forum that gets away with using the word “jew-fro”…the racially tinged argument between two salespeople near the beginning of the film…
9. The best raunchy comedies since “The 40 Year Old Virgin” are still trying to be as good as “The 40 Year Old Virgin.” Some make it there – a precious few even SURPASS it. But you gotta admit, that’s a helluva bar to shoot for.
10. (My God, that’s future Academy Award nominee JONAH HILL looking like he ate two people before showing up for filming…)